Thursday, January 11, 2018

8 Crucial Lessons From Learning To Walk Again

Rude awakenings can happen to any of us, at any time. Our only hope is that they won't cause too much interruption to our incredibly self-important routines, but…they're called "rude" for a reason.

My most recent one didn't hold back. It grabbed my life during a basketball game this spring, and hasn't let go since.

The play was one that was athletic, but fairly routine for me: a two-handed slam off of an alley-oop lob. I'm 6-foot-4 and have been slam dunking since I was 15, so there was no hesitation in my step. But during my takeoff on this particular evening, I felt instant pain—the shocking kind that's far too sudden and intense to shrug off.

Lying on my back on the ground, I told my friends I couldn't really feel my legs beyond the overwhelming pain. For some reason, I was afraid to look down at the damage, or even to try to turn over to assess my movement.

I silently concluded that I'd suffered a dislocation. Bad news, but not earth-shattering. My friend called an...


Source: 8 Crucial Lessons From Learning To Walk Again

No comments:

Post a Comment